Monday, October 12, 2015

Signed, sealed, delivered, I'm yours.


Every time I get loaded (or more accurately, my trailer gets loaded), a seal gets put on to ensure integrity of the load.

The seals are made from brightly-colored plastic or finger-lacerating aluminum, occasionally made with a braided cable or a steel bolt-like thingie, but never with wax or a with a kiss. Each seal has a special number and that number is dutifully recorded upon the shipping documents and who knows where else. The number on the seal must match the number printed on the bills.


At a lot Shippers, someone comes out from behind their glass window, follows you outside and puts the seal on your truck for you; they wait impatiently for you to shut your cargo doors and close the latches and then they bless your load with the seal. After that point, with shipping documents finally in hand, you are allowed to drive on down the road.

Sometimes, a uniformed guard will double-check the integrity of your seal and record the number just before you exit the gate. (The guards are always polite. Go figure.)

The first time that I get a chance stop to pee is when I also will put a special padlock on the hasp. It's special, because it is designed in such a way to make it more difficult for a pair of bolt cutters to snip the shackle. This feature gains me maybe an extra 30 seconds in security, but it enables me to sleep without worry.

With that padlock, I am hoping to discourage someone messing with my load. I am not worried about organized crime as much as I am worried about teenagers hoping to climb inside, grab something interesting and flee in their Camaro. (I would never hear them. I sleep with earplugs; truck stops are noisy.)

Casual crooks don't know what's inside my trailer, it could be anything, really.

Sometimes I haul alcohol, sometimes ammo, sometimes power tools, but most of the time it is much more mundane; sacks of rice, sugar, giant rolls of brown kraft paper or something equally boring.

Today it was cups and lids for Jack-In-The-Box.


The custom is that when you get to the other end with your delivery, somebody with a clipboard is supposed to earnestly check and record that the seal was still intact with the right numbers on it to see that it hadn't been messed with. It's hard to mess with seals without it being plainly obvious.
 Modern truck seal technology is marvelous.

(On a side note: I pass through a California Agriculture Inspection station about once a week where all trucks have to stop and show their bill of lading for perusal by the uniformed Agriculture Technician dudes. They don't slow down  us (regular, familiar) trucks that much, but I have seen them break seals on the odd, unfamiliar trucks; badly painted rentals and such. Afterwards, (assuming that they're not transporting a load of marijuana) those inspected trucks get a new special California Ag seal so the poor driver doesn't have to explain the missing seal to his boss.)


The high-value loads are where all of this makes a difference; Fred Meyer or Lowe's guards (for example) are going to make certain that the load of home appliances and power tools remains untouched by human hands until a staffer at the other end checks it out and blesses it.


Much of the time though, nobody really cares much about the seal. The person behind the window hands me my bills and a fresh, new seal. ("Put it on your own damn self!") At the receiver, they usually just tell you to cut off the seal, open your doors and back up to door number such-and-such. The Lumpers are verifying the count of the merchandise as they unload anyway, God forbid you be over or under on your numbers. Company Drivers have long since been vetted; we are not going to risk our jobs over some stupid cargo.


When I need to cut a plastic seal, I use my Swiss Army knife, I have a proper snippering tool for the finger-lacerating aluminum ones. When it's a bolt seal, the guard shack always has a pair of humongous bolt cutters available to borrow. At Home Depot, the guards use macho power tools that produce a terrible racket and shower sparks all over their uniform shirts.


I save the broken seals as long as I am there, just for the rare event that someone wants to double-check. I put them in my pocket and throw them into the trash once I've left. It's really a dick move to litter in the parking lot of your customer.

Besides, they have cameras watching my every move.




This May Trucking load for Lowe's had three seals.
Good indication that it had expensive home appliance and power tools inside!



3 comments:

Tracy said...

Interesting read. I had know idea it is so complicated.

Jayeltee said...

Good writing, my friend. I expect that the day is coming when all that will be digitized, like the microchips we give our pets. No paperwork required.

Anonymous said...

Great to see you posting again, Joe.