Saturday, August 15, 2015

Idle talk

"Well tonight I got the front door cant always have the rocking chair..Pig Pens got that back door closed just told me on the air. Just checked out the westbound and Road Hawk says shes clean! Looks like a money making run for me and old CB"


I have a CB radio installed in my truck.

Now please: just forget everything that you think you know about CB radios. This is not the 1970s. Whatever phrases that you picked up after watching "Smokey and the Bandit" are long gone, Daddio. 

First, a little nomenclature: The accepted name for a Truck Driver is simply "Driver". So don't ever call a Driver "Good Buddy" unless you want a sock in the nose. (Also, while I'm thinking of it, never ask a Driver who they "work" for, only who they drive for.)

Anyway, it is now the 21st century and even with ubiquitous smart phones and WiFi, the CB still has its place. For now, anyway. Admittedly, a very, very limited place. (Their usage is on the decline, to put it kindly. Maybe one in twenty Drivers uses one nowadays. If that.)

Drivers still need to be able to communicate with the other truck drivers in the immediate area. Usually we don't actually personally know each other (so we haven't exchanged phone numbers) but we do need to talk to each other and the CB still has its place. It's kinda quaint, actually.

I bought my CB with Pilot Points. I saved up my points for about a year and then traded them in for a shiny CB radio that looks a lot cooler than it really is. It truly is impressive-looking with its blinky lights and chromium switches, but most normal CB radios are "all show and no go": they're really only effective to about five miles. They're not HAM radios; you cannot talk to Tierra Del Fuego, but you can communicate just fine to the other trucks within the immediate area.

When there is a terrible accident up ahead around the bend, the Truck Drivers immediately warn each other. We have already thrown on our four-way flashers, have started to gear down and have moved out of the affected lanes well before the Prius drivers have the slightest clue what is going on (which is when they immediately cut over to the right lane, endanger lives and jam up the traffic even more).

When the traffic is jammed up for miles, the local truck drivers helpfully advise us "Over The Road" drivers the secret detour around the traffic jam (I have taken advantage of this and it has saved me hours of time). Also, certain Shippers insist that the Drivers communicate with them over the CB. They glare at you if you say that you don't even own one.

We warn each other when there is a State cop sitting at the bottom of a steep grade with a radar gun, advise each other whether or not the scales are open and we warn other drivers when they have a light out on their trailer out (a simple burnt-out bulb could get us fined at the scales).

There are serious drawbacks to CB radios. Any idiot can broadcast whatever they want over one, and believe me, they do. If you believe everything you hear on the CB, then apparently all truck drivers hate our PresidentSikhs and all Swift Drivers. (It's only true about the Swift drivers)

Sometimes, it is just to talk. Last week the Driver up ahead of me called me out on the radio. "Hey Market!" he said. "Look over to your left! There's a big herd of elk over there". And sure enough, there was. I thanked him for pointing them out to me.

If you need me, I'll be on Channel 17, most likely, since I only roll on I-5.
It's channel 19 everywhere else.

2 comments:

Jayeltee said...

I use my CB all the time when I'm on the road. As you pointed out, it's the only practical way of finding out what's obstructing traffic ahead, and how to get around it. And when the traffic's moving and there is absolutely nothing worth listening to on the radio, It can provide a moment of distraction. But I seriously doubt if most of the people I'm listening to are truckers

One more thing: I don't know if it's a central California thing, but the VW buses around here can sometimes be raised on channel 2, particularly around Stockton.

Short Stop said...

In the middle of one boring afternoon rolling thru Kansas someone came on the CB and said; "THEY GROW CORN IN KANSAS, THEY GRow corn in Kansas, they grow corn in kansas." and trailed off to a whisper. Near the Colorado border later that day I overheard two drivers - "Where you headed?" - "Kansas City" - "OK yeah, the only thing wrong with Kansas City is that you have to go through Kansas to get there." The radio can also entertain.