Thursday, January 26, 2006

Halong has this been goin' on?

Hanoi is supposed to be much mellower than Saigon, but I haven't noticed much of a difference. It is still a city of incessant horn-honking.

It is also quite chilly up here. I constantly need (but do not have) a fleece jacket. This is a new one on me, I have always traveled in the south where it is much too warm. When I would type, I would often end my sentence with a perspiration.

I am staying in Hanoi's "Old Quarter" which is where everyone with round eyes stays. The streets are small, the buildings are old, crumbling and charming.

The last couple of days I have been playing tourist. I signed up for an overnight cruise of Halong Bay. For a rediculously small sum, one gets to sail the waters of Halong Bay, eat and sleep aboard a luxury junk. http://www.halong-bay.com/

Halong Bay is one of those places which you must see before you die, so put it upon your 'short-list' of vacation destinations. The tour options are roughly similar; some more luxurious than others, but all are basically the same. I chose a middle-range tour ($55) which included a guide, air-conditioned transportation, four meals, and a shared room (with private bath) aboard a spiffy purpose-made junk. Also, swimming opportunities.

How many times in your life will you get the opportunity to jump off of a boat into Halong Bay? I dived in a few times much to the amusement of the crew, who were likely betting their paychecks upon the outcome.

Fortunately, they did not need to call "Marine Mammal Rescue" for me.

No comments: