Saturday, January 28, 2006

Glass half empty or glass half full?

Before I visited Vietnam last year, I researched stuff on the internet, so much that I got blisters on my fingers.

What I read on the Lonely Planet Thorntree and elsewhere gave me cause for concern. Many (not just some) people who had returned were complaining about, seemingly, everything in Vietnam. The people, the food, the prices, the cleanliness.

At the same time, others were distinctly on the other side of the happiness fence. They wrote of lovely people, wonderful food and overall great experiences.

This year, on the train ride from Hue up to Hanoi, I hung around with a couple of backpackers in hopes of sharing good times, but they did nothing but whinge. They whinged about every possible thing.

Once we arrived in Hanoi, we checked into a very nice hotel. (separate rooms, of course) The next morning, they were still whinging. I ditched them so that they would not harsh my mellow.

I mean, in life you make your own movie and all, but what the fuck is up with the whingers?

Why is it that some people have a swell time and others do not?

What gives?

No comments: