Monday, September 23, 2013

I food you, I got pig iron

"I dined on cuisse du poulet roti -- roast chicken -- while my companion ventured the steak tartare --a caper-dotted paddy procured from an artisan butcher just a mile down the road. As we finished our last bites, the waitress brought assorted cheese to our table ("Fromage!" she sang), and then the meal was topped off with a sweet crumble aux pomme"  (source: The good food of France's truck stops)

My job takes me through the 11 western States and not once have I found a "caper-dotted paddy" (sic) along my travels.

Finding good food is a lot easier said than done.

Bob's Cafe - Moses Lake, WA
Due to the nature of the business, I am mainly routed on Interstate highways, not on picturesque country roads through quaint towns with bistros. Even if I were able to drive wherever I wanted to, I still wouldn't be able to park nearby a bistro. There's simply no room.

I am constantly followed by a 53-foot-long trailer and finding a parking space for it is always a challenge. In practical terms, I can eat only whatever is within a reasonable walking distance from the truck. Truck stop parking lots are often so far from actual civilization that I usually settle upon whatever crappy vittles are on offer.

What's usually on offer at truck stops along the Interstate is fast food; Subway, Arby's, Taco Bell, Wendy's, Burger King, sometimes a Denny's. And I have learned just what to eat at each of these places. Taco Bell has the Cantina Bowl, a passable dish that contains Romaine lettuce and is somewhat edible. Denny's has an "all you can eat" deal of soup & Caesar salad for $6.00, and Subway can make an item that, at first glance, appears to be a sandwich.

Arby's has nothing but crap. Avoid Arby's.

Arctic Circle, Payette, ID

As I gain experience, I am learning where and where not to stop. I always choose independently-owned cafes whenever possible, but these usually are not much better since most still worship at the Sysco food service alter. When I see a taco truck, I always stop. (There are three along I-84 in Boardman, OR).

Why don't I prepare my own food? 

That's a lot easier said than done. I am cooking for one. Cooking for one is always a pain. And if I wanted to prepare fresh food, where would I even get it? I see all sorts of places that sell groceries, but I usually cannot stop there; I can't very well park my 53' trailer in a Safeway parking lot. And if I bought some perishable food, where would I store it? I don't own a fridge, and ice chests are too much bother. Even if I cooked a caper-studded steak and pom frites, then where would I wash my dishes? You can see just how quickly involved this gets. Other drivers prattle on endlessly about their crockpots, microwave ovens and George Foreman grills. That's not for me. I have many miles to drive, and a getting that committed doesn't enter into my plans right now.

To save some money, I bought an electric kettle that I power off of an inverter. What I have been doing is making coffee (drip, #2 filter, Italian roast) with half & half (Mini Moos) in the morning. I also picked up a cheap toaster and have been making toasted peanut butter & honey sandwiches on whole grain bread. I usually keep some bananas around and always keep a stock of apples to munch on. And I am one with instant oatmeal.

Anything kept in my larder must be non-perishable. Lunch and dinner snacks regularly include the fantastic Bumble Bee Thai Tuna & Crackers, Nissin instant chow mein plus whatever else I can scrounge up that won't go bad and won't go straight to my hips. (That means no Ho-Ho's, Ding Dongs, Bugles or Funyuns)

I am certain that, if I really tried, I could pare all this down to sun-baked kale chips and celery broth, but I won't. Those that pester me with solar soy taco pointers get immediately unfriended. I will write the truck driver's healthy cookbook some other day. Right now, it's all I can do to keep the truck driving in a straight line.












7 comments:

Susan said...

Keep up the foodie posts. I heart them.

Chuck Karish said...

And the photos from beautiful Weed.

Jamie said...

Kale Chips are not food, no matter how fashionable they are. Eat with moderation and you should do fine. I look forward to your next post on the road.

Rob said...

Hate to break the news to you, but I am pretty certain that you HAVE had a 'caper' studded patty at some point, but didn't know it. ;- ( Bon appetite! Time for more kale!

Ed Ward said...

There's no question that the French truck drivers eat better. The various "aires" along the motorways all have truck parking sections, which means just a few more yards tacked on to the walk to the dining area. One of the best meals I've had in France was at an "aire" somewhere near Brest, where I had these amazing meatball-like things cooked wrapped in a bit of caul fat. Wish I could remember what they were called. Of course, not all the aires have such good food: the Buffalo Grill is just as good as you'd expect, and all too many of them feature that exemplar of American exoticism, le MacDo. But that caper-studded "paddy" was tartare: raw steak, probably with a raw egg cracked into a hollow amde by a spoon. Sorry, but no thanks.

wooddragon said...

Fry sauce!

Rogerthat said...

Nice photo, you have a good eye, fellow May driver.